Distinguished Citizens Award Dinners and Friends of Scouting
PinTwood Derby 2019
The 5th Annual Adult Pinewood Derby Competition of the Southern Tier
October 15th, 2019 @ Beer Tree Brewing Company (197 NY-369, Port Crane, NY 13833)
5:30PM Reception, 6:15PM Race
Distinguished Citizen Award Dinners
Each year, the Baden-Powell Council recognizes noteworthy and extraordinary leadership of citizens in Broome, Tompkins, Chenango, Cortland, and Susquehanna Counties. Honoring distinguished citizenship delivers a message to our youth that character counts. The lives of distinguished citizens put into place guideposts that serve to inspire our youth to lead, to accept responsibility, and to care about principles and causes beyond self-interest.
Support one of our 2019 Distinguished Citizen Dinner Events
Broome: May 1st at the McKinley honoring Joe Mirabito
Chenango: May 9th at the Canasawacta Country Club, Norwich
Cortland: May 23rd at the Hathaway House
Susquehanna: April 27th at Elk Lake High School honoring Adam Diaz
Tompkins: April 29th at Ithaca College
Friends of Scouting (FOS)
- When a boy joins Scouting he pays a $33.00 national registration fee which goes directly to support the services we receive from our National Office. In order to keep Scouting affordable for all boys, we run an annual Friends of Scouting Campaign.
- The annual campaign is an opportunity for families, friends, alumni, business and community organizations to support Scouting.
- In 2018 the Baden-Powell Council will run an operating budget of almost $1.4 million, needing to raise $180 for every member in the program in order to meet expenses.
- Your support of Scouting through the annual Friends of Scouting Campaign will help us to continue to reach out and serve another generation of youth. Thank you for your support of our youth members and the programs they participate in!
- How much should I give? Gifts to the Friends of Scouting Campaign vary from $5 to $5,000 or more. Gifts can be made as one time payments or quarterly contributions. Each donor is asked to consider underwriting the cost of one scout to be in the program at $180. The most popular gift is a $180 contribution.
- The Baden-Powell Council, headquartered in Binghamton, NY, serves over 150 different scouting units including over 3,000 youth and adults throughout Central New York and Northeast Pennsylvania. The Council serves Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Tioga, Tompkins, and part of Seneca counties in New York, as well as Susquehanna County in Pennsylvania. The Council runs programs in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing, and Exploring while maintaining two diverse nationally recognized Scout camps: Camp Barton, on Cayuga Lake, and the Tuscarora Scout Reservation, in the foothills of the Catskills.