Official Announcement Regarding the suspension of our 2020 Summer Camping programs
Dear Scouting Family,
First and foremost, we hope that this finds you and your family well. It goes without saying that we are living through a time of uncertainty and fear, but also a time of hope and a demonstration of the Scout Oath and Law.
As always, your safety and the safety of all our members, Scouts, volunteers, and employees is the Boy Scouts of America’s top priority. As such, we have taken a careful and informed approach in evaluating whether to run Summer Camp this year. Since the spread of this virus, we have been continually monitoring the situation, and consulting with health experts, State and Local officials and other camp professionals.
It is with extreme sadness that we inform you, after a thorough review, the Baden-Powell Council has decided to suspend our resident camp programs at Camp Barton and Tuscarora Scout Reservation as well as In-Person Day Camps for the 2020 summer season. We know camp is an important part of every Scout’s summer, and this decision was not made lightly.
If you have already signed up for camp, you have the following options for your fees paid.
Summer Camp Refund Options:
- Roll over all deposits and payments to 2021 Summer Camp.
- Roll over $250 site deposit to 2021 Summer Camp and credit any additional payments to be used for other Council Programs.
- Roll over $250 site deposit to 2021 Summer Camp and refund any additional payments.
- Full refund all deposits and payments.
We kindly ask you to consider donating part or all any payments to Tuscarora or Barton Sustainability Fund to ensure the operation of our camps into the future (Unit may designate to which camp they wish to donate).
Please Speak with our Camping Coordinator, Rebekah Moore at Camp.Secretary@scouting.org to discuss these options.
Our council and staff are saddened that we are not able to serve you at our Camps this summer. This is an extraordinarily challenging time; unlike anything we have experienced. Our hope is we all emerge from this challenging time stronger than before.
Most importantly, we look forward to providing the full range of Scouting programs, including outdoor adventures, as soon as we can and as the situation allows.
If you are looking for Scouting programming throughout the summer, we are offering the following summer programs:
- “Tuscarora & Barton Quaran-Camped Together”– A Summer Camp-in-a-Box program featuring online Merit Badge Instruction by subject matter experts
- STEM/NOVA Virtual Camp – Program featuring partnerships with Businesses, Museums, and other Community Organizations for instructions.
- Camp Akela Stays Home Virtual Camp
- Stay-Camp Day Camp 2020 – A Virtual Day Camp-in-a-Box program featuring 3 separate themed weeks of Cub Scouting program spanning all grade levels and advancement.
Please check Facebook and the Baden-Powell Council Website for more information.
We hope all our Scouting families stay healthy and positive in our current environment and join us in preparing for future great summer camp experiences where we will always be the Place for You and we wait to Welcome You Home.
You can reach us at 607-648-7888.
In the Spirit of Scouting,
Dr. Kevin Drumm