National Youth Leadership Training
Join us at Camp Tuscarora for NYLT 2024
Sunday, August 4th – Friday, August 9th, 2024
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, 6-day outdoor leadership course. It is taught by a youth staff of alumni and aims to instill into the scouts a set of skills and tools to help lead their troop, crew, or ship and take these skills on into their future careers. There will be presentations, games, challenges, problem-solving and tons of fun
Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ leadership skills much faster.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13, have completed ‘Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops’, and be 1st Class or higher in rank
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.